Tuesday 21 June 2011

Island 119 - Asparagus Island, Kynance Cove, Cornwall

Asparagus Island is a small grass covered tidal island at Kynance Cove on the Lizard Peninsula in Cornwall.  It is so called because wild asparagus used to grow on it.  It is possible to climb to the top and there is a geocache on the top.  However I thought I would probably have been able to get up it but I wasn't sure about getting down again, so I just sat for a while on the rocks and explored a small cave underneath it. 

Asparagus Island is only accessible for an hour or so either side of low tide.  In the summer I'm sure it is a very popular spot but when I visited on a showery day at the end of October 2010 there was no one else around.  The island is separated from the mainland by a beach of beautiful pale yellow sand.  Kynance Cove is owned by the National Trust and there is a café there.  It is about a half a mile walk from the car park down to the cove.

Kynance Cove
Asparagus Island with Gull Rock and The Bishop further out to sea behind it.


Asparagus Island

Cave underneath Asparagus Island

No comments:

Post a Comment