Friday 12 July 2013

Island 200 - Suther Ness, Whalsay, Shetland

Suther Ness is a small island off the north coast of Whalsay and adjacent to Kirk Ness.  It is linked to Whalsay by a sand and gravel tombolo.  I don't think it gets covered by normal tides but I have seen photographs of the tombolo underwater at high tide during storm conditions.  The island is uninhabited and used for grazing, although there were no farm animals there when I visited.   There is a small lighthouse on the north coast. There is a track leading to Suther Ness from Whalsay but it runs down the side of a house, so I wasn't sure if it was permissible to access it.  However no one came out of the house and questioned me, so I tiptoed passed, through a gate and across the tombolo. 

 Lighthouse on Suther Ness
 Kirk Ness from Suther Ness

Whalsay from Suther Ness
 
 Tombolo connecting Suther Ness to Whalsay

Suther Ness from Whalsay

A shy Shetland pony!  Suther Ness from Whalsay

No comments:

Post a Comment