Tuesday 5 April 2011

Island 69 - Flodda, Benbecula - Outer Hebrides

Flodday (Flodaigh in Gaelic) is linked to the north east corner of Benbecula by a causeway.  It had a population of 7 in 2011.   When we visited in September 2006 to do a walk to see some seals, on the track down to the sea there was an old broken down car with a copy of ‘Seal News’ stuck on the inside of the driver’s window to keep it dry - an unusual use for an old car!  Our walk book said that we were guaranteed to see seals. How many did we see? – none! 

I revisited Flodday in June 2016 to do the seal walk again in the hope of seeing some seals.  Once again there were no seals in sight.  However it was a pleasant walk on a sunny evening.  The broken down car was still there, although a bit more dilapidated.  Seal news was not on display but a description of the seal walk was available to view through the windscreen.

The Ordnance Survey maps spell the island's name in Gaelic as Flodaigh.  However the sign as you arrive on the island says Fhloddaidh.  I don't know which is right, or perhaps both are?

 Welcome to Flodda

 Broken down car displaying the instructions for the seal walk

 Waymarked walk to Seal Point

 Rusty old farm implements

 Rusting old farm equipment
 Foxgloves in flower and a view of one of Flodda's few houses

 Cotton-grass on Flodda on a very windy day!

1 comment:

  1. I like your photos!
    My wife and I visited Flodda in 2015. That year I followed the seal point sign and saw some seals. Today August 17 2019 I ignored the seal point sign and carried along the track until it's end just passed the houses. Again I was privileged to see some seals this time on a small island just offshore.
    If you like old dilapidated vehicles like the car pictured above there is an equally old dilapidated campervan just by the houses!
    I managed to make it back to the car just before it fell down with rain but I was assisted by 40 mile an hour winds on my back!
    Definitely worth a visit!

    ReplyDelete